As we grow older, functions in our body and mental health do not perform as well as they once did. In fact, our working memory steadily declines after we reach our twenties. This decline is a natural part of aging, but also one that can negatively impact our quality of life, work, and relationships. This is why it's incredibly important to supply our bodies with the appropriate nutrition and vitamins so that our physical and mental health is maintained. Vitamin B is one of the essential vitamins.
Vitamin B is a very important group of eight nutrients that help your body function properly. Each B vitamin has a specific role that it plays in your body, working with other B vitamins as well as independently. They are largely responsible for converting food into energy, creating new blood cells, and maintaining healthy cells. According to Medical News Today, here are what each of the B vitamins do:
- Thiamin (B-1) — Found in the heart, kidney, brain, and liver. Thiamin creates certain neurotransmitters in your brain, produces fatty acids, and breaks down sugars in your food.
- Riboflavin (B-2) — Vital for energy production and helping the body break down fats.
- Niacin (B-3) — Your body needs niacin to create a coenzyme referred to as NAD. NAD creates energy from food, helps with metabolic processes, and communication between old cells.
- Pantothenic Acid (B-5) — Necessary for your body to establish new coenzymes, proteins, and fats. Your red blood cells carry B-5 to be used as a nutrient in certain processes.
- Pyridoxine (B-6) — Important for more than 100 enzyme reactions in your body. Primarily helpful in brain development, and immune function
- Biotin (B-7) — You've probably heard of biotin as an ingredient for hair, skin, and nail supplements. B-7 also regulates DNA and assists in communication between old cells
- Folate (B-9) — Folic acid derives from this vitamin, and is absolutely essential for reproduction. B-9 also assists will cell division
- Cobalamin (B-12) — B-12 is vital for proper brain and neurological functions. It also creates new blood cells and is naturally occurring in animal products.
Vitamin B and Memory
Taking a deeper look at the B vitamins, we can see that a few are directly related to your brain's overall health. These vitamins are B-1, B-6, and B-12. When we look at the repercussions of deficiencies for these vitamins, there is a common trend. A lack of B-1 causes memory problems and confusion. Not getting enough B-6 also causes confusion, as well as depression. People who do not get enough B-12 also tend to suffer from memory problems, confusion, fatigue, and depression.
In particular, B-12 has been linked with improving your brain's function and ability. Medical professionals at Harvard Health Publishing found that B-12 deficiency can be deceptively harmful, and also very common. In fact, a deficiency of this vitamin affects up to 15% of the general population. When not taken in sufficient amounts, you can suffer from memory loss and general psychiatric symptoms. The link between B-12 deficiency and memory loss may relate to B-12's ability to prevent brain atrophy. Brain atrophy refers to the loss of neurons in the brain, which has been associated with dementia. It has been found that B-12 can help slow mental decline, as well as improve memory performance. Signs of deficiencies to look out for include headaches, yellowish skin, shortness of breath, and fatigue.
What Can We Do?
B-12 is found naturally in animal products, such as meat, eggs, poultry, and dairy products. Plants cannot make this vitamin, making strict vegetarians and vegans more likely to suffer from a deficiency. Sometimes people can't absorb enough of the vitamin through food alone, and B-12 cannot be made in the body, it has to be consumed. As adults, we need 2.4 mcgs a day, with pregnant or breastfeeding adults needing more. This is where supplements are incredibly important, because many people need help taking enough of a vitamin on a daily basis. Luckily, supplements exist to do just that.
Supplements to the Rescue
Eden Formulations provide many different products to help ensure you are taking the appropriate amount of daily vitamins. This can be difficult through food alone, making supplements a great choice to cover your basis. Currently, Eden Formulations offer multiple different products that either contain a B vitamin, or a blend of ingredients to help improve and maintain your brain's functions.
- Equalize is a 100% natural adult multi-vitamin that conveniently comes in the form of a gummy. These gummies generally help your body stay energized and healthy, providing many of the essential vitamins your body needs, that may be difficult to achieve through food alone. Some of these vitamins include B-6, B-7, and B-12.
- Cortexa is a great supplement to consider if you are looking to achieve better mental health. It's blend of amino acids and herbs help to improve your mood, focus, cognitive ability, and memory. Cortexa is also beneficial for cell health, which is linked to all B vitamins. Cortexa is a great option if you find it difficult to achieve the amount of B vitamins you need.
- Movexa is a natural joint supplement that contains 3 different types of B vitamins. Movexa helps relieve joint pain and helps support healthy cartilage in your body. This particular supplement doesn't involve improved brain health, but the link between B vitamins, cell communication and production make it beneficial for joint comfort.
Eden Formulations offers vitamins and supplements for nutrition, anti-aging, and general health. We know how difficult it can be to consume the appropriate amount of vitamins you need through food alone. We strive to offer products that are backed by science and our very own medical director, who is passionate about helping his patients live healthier and happier lives. Contact us today if you have any questions!