Healthy bones and joints are a concern for everyone. If your bones are lacking mass or you have joint problems, you can experience all kinds of discomfort. Bone and joint health are an essential aspect of your health. There are certain supplements that can help you maintain healthy bones and joints as well as help manage symptoms that are affecting these areas.
The Importance of Healthy Bones and Joints
Your bones are the foundation of your body, essential for everything you do. As you age, you gradually lose bone density and are more vulnerable to conditions such as arthritis and osteoporosis. You can also injure bones and joints during sporting injuries and accidents. If you have any type of bone or joint discomfort, it's a good idea to have it diagnosed by a medical professional. There are several approaches that can help you prevent and manage these problems.
- Regular exercise and activity. Even walking regularly supports bone health and mobility. . However, evidence suggests that strength-building exercises such as weight lifting are especially good for bone health. Ideally, it's best to get a combination of aerobic and strength-building exercises. Slower exercise routines such as yoga and tai chi are also good for joint mobility.
- Your physician may prescribe certain medications to control the pain associated with conditions such as arthritis. There are also over-the-counter creams and pain medications that may help.
- Certain foods can supply you with valuable nutrients that support bone health. Dairy products are high in calcium. Green vegetables can supply you with many vitamins as well. It also helps to reduce your intake of foods and substances that contribute to inflammation such as sugar, trans fats, and alcohol.
- It can be challenging to get all the nutrients you need solely from your diet. Vitamin and mineral supplements help you fill in any gaps. Below we'll look at some optimal supplements to take for bone health.
Nutrients that Support Bone Health
You can find nutrients in your daily diet. However, it can be difficult for busy people to maintain a balanced diet, especially when you're seeking out specific vitamins and minerals. Here are some of the most essential nutrients for bone health.
- Vitamin A — One of the primary vitamins for bone health. Found naturally in fish, liver, and many green vegetables.
- Vitamin D — As noted, you can get vitamin D in dairy but you also may want to supplement this.
- Vitamin E — An antioxidant that helps maintain bone mass. Found naturally in many seeds, nuts, and leafy green vegetables.
- Vitamin K — Found in many green leafy vegetables.
- B Vitamins — People don't always think of V vitamins for the bones, but recent research suggests that vitamins such as B1 (Thiamin), B2, B3, B6, and B12 can lower the risk of osteoporosis, help with injuries such as fractures. Another important B vitamin is niacinamide, which is often taken for the skin but also supports joint flexibility and reduced inflammation.
Minerals for Bone Health
These minerals are especially important for the bones and joints.
- Calcium — One of the most critical minerals for bones. Found in dairy products such as milk, yogurt, and cheese.
- Magnesium — Works with calcium to support bone health. Magnesium-rich foods include nuts and seeds such as almonds, cashews, and pumpkin seeds.
- Boron — A trace mineral that helps with bone growth.
- Silicon — Contributes to bone density.
- Selenium — Another trace mineral that supports bone mineral density.
- Zinc — Studies suggest that zinc can help prevent osteoporosis.
- Manganese — A mineral present in tissues throughout the body that supports bone density.
- Copper — Helps to form collagen, an essential protein that builds tissues and bones.
While calcium and magnesium are commonly included in multivitamin supplements, the same isn't true for others such as boron and silicon. You may need to take these separately or seek a specialized bone supplement that includes these minerals.
Herbal supplements derived from plants can be taken on their own or as helpful additions to bone and joint supplements.
- Alfalfa — A nutritious plant that contains many vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants.
- Devil's Claw — This herb has been used for centuries to treat pain and inflammation.
- Yucca — A plant found in Mexico that is used to treat a variety of conditions, including osteoporosis, migraines, and high blood pressure.
- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) — MSM is a sulfur compound found in plants and animals. It has a wide range of benefits, such as anti-inflammatory effects, relief of joint pain, and faster recovery after exercise.
- Chondroitin Sulfate — This supplement, which occurs naturally in joints and cartilage, has proven itself beneficial for patients suffering from arthritis and osteoporosis. Chondroitin is also widely used by athletes and people who work out to maintain overall bone and joint health.
- Glucosamine Sulfate — Another chemical that's produced naturally in the body, forming the fluid around joints. Works well in combination with other supplements such as MSM and chondroitin for bone health.
- Healthy fats — Omega-3 and other healthy fatty acids found in fish oils and other supplements may help reduce inflammation and manage arthritis and osteoporosis. New Zealand green-lipped sea mussel, derived from a type of shellfish, is currently a popular alternative to fish oil. Another healthy fatty acid that may help reduce inflammation is cetyl myristoleate, a fatty acid found in animals such as whales.
Combine Diet, Lifestyle, and Supplements for Bone Health
Maintaining and improving the condition of your bones and joints takes consistent effort. Regular exercise combined with a balanced diet can help. Taking the right supplements can help ensure that you're getting nutrients you may not get from your regular diet. While it's good to research food, you don't want to spend all your time reading nutritional labels and performing calculations.
One supplement that combines many joint and bone-friendly items is Movexa, a 100% natural joint support supplement from Eden Formulations. This product contains many essential vitamins, minerals, herbs, healthy fatty acids, as well as MSM, chondroitin, and glucosamine sulfate. It comes with a free joint support e-book.
Eden Formulations carries a variety of products to help you stay healthy, including supplements for your bones and joints. To learn more about our products, contact us.