Momentary forgetfulness is annoying, frustrating and at times, a cause for worry. Most of us have experienced unpleasant episodes where we suddenly cannot remember something that is usually second nature to us, or what we were about to do. It can be embarrassing. When our normal level of alertness is replaced by a feeling of fogginess and inability to concentrate, we fear we are losing it.
When we experience repeated slips of the mind, it is easy to jump to the conclusion that we are developing Alzheimer's or some form of dementia. There are many other temporary reasons that factor into memory loss and poor concentration that can easily be reversed with the right vitamins and supplements.
COMMON CAUSES OF FORGETFULNESS
Before you are convinced of the worst scenario, consider what has been going on in your life. Certain conditions can touch off episodes of mental unclarity.
Sleep — how well have you been sleeping lately? Lack of sleep is a direct cause of forgetfulness. Restless or fitful sleep can trigger anxiety which leads to memory issues.
Stress and anxiety — Anything worrisome or upsetting going on in your life interferes with your brain's ability to assimilate new information and retrieve old information.
Depression — feelings of overwhelming sadness, lack of motivation and apathy toward the good things in your life are signs of depression. Memory lapses can be a sign or a repercussion of depression.
Medications — some prescription medications could make you feel confused or mentally sluggish. If you suspect your medication is softening your mental edge, talk to your pharmacist or physician.
Alcohol — everyone has a slightly different tolerance to alcohol consumption, but its influence on the cognitive function is all-inclusive. Even after the effects of the alcohol have worn off, it continues to meddle with short-term memory.
Underactive thyroid — a weakening thyroid can throw off the normal balance of various systems in the body. It can disrupt your sleep patterns and cause depression, both of which can lead to memory loss.
HOW DO VITAMINS HELP WITH MEMORY LOSS AND CONCENTRATION?
The nutrients in our body are vital to our cognitive health. They naturally begin to decline as we age, but at any age, stressful conditions increase the need for them. Producing energy when higher demands are placed on the body depletes its stores of nutrients. The body's constant effort is to maintain a balanced equilibrium and when it is thrown off-kilter due to missing nutrients, your normal mental functions are affected.
We can get much of the nutrition we need through the food we eat, but under duress, eating more food is not a viable solution. Taking extra vitamins and supplements provides the boost that accommodates the demand. Certain vitamins and herbs naturally support mental abilities.
- B6, B9(folic acid), and B12 are frequently associated with brain health
- Breaks down homocysteine, which in high levels has been linked to the onset of Alzheimer's and dementia
- Assists with the production of energy required to develop new brain cells
GINKGO BILOBA LEAF
- Derived from the leaves of a tree native to China
- Categorized as a nootropic, a substance known for improving memory and motivation
- A phospholipid that covers and protects the brain cells
- Carries message between brain cells
- Keeps the mind and memory sharp
- Derivative of an amino acid, the building blocks for protein
- Helps produce energy
- Assists with brain function and improving memory
ST. JOHN'S WORT
- A flowering plant used for medicinal purposes
- Reduces stress
- Prevents corticosterone-induced memory impairments
- Improves recognition memory
- An essential amino acid and primary precursor for producing certain neurotransmitters in the brain
- Critical for optimal brain functioning
- Helps improve alertness, focus, concentration and memory
BACOPA MONNIERI LEAF
- Grows in wet, tropical environments
- Contains powerful antioxidants
- Increases the length of brain cell dendrites linked to learning and memory
- Improves spatial learning and ability to retain information
- A compound derived from the periwinkle plant
- Protects brain cells from toxins and stressors that cause amnesia
- Reduces neural inflammation
- Improves mental reaction time
- Derived from a Chinese moss
- A cholinesterase inhibitor that improves levels of neurotransmitters in the brain
- Helps to improve memory loss
WHERE CAN I FIND SUPPLEMENTS DESIGNED TO HELP WITH COGNITIVE FUNCTION?
When your body runs low on the nutrients required to feed your brain, the effects are far-reaching. All areas of your life are affected, including your self-confidence, relationships, and ability to perform. It can be subtle or extreme. It can be the difference between forgetting where you put your car keys to finding yourself wandering the streets, at a total loss for where to drive next on a normally familiar route. You can experience deficiencies in the areas that allow you to function in ordinary situations.
Fortunately, the vitamins and herbs that can help improve memory loss and concentration are available in easily obtained formulations. These oral supplements are designed to restore the depleted nutrients that support your brain.
Cortexa is a supplement containing the primary ingredients for a healthy brain and memory. It is also an important aid to stabilize your moods and performance. It consists of the indispensable natural herbs and amino acids that help improve mental clarity at any age. It is recommended as a key formulation for boosting overall brain health, cognitive function, mental clarity, focus and memory.
Equalize is a multi-vitamin formula containing the essential vitamins required by the body for overall good health. It supports a healthy immune system. When you are in good health, it is easier to manage stressful situations and stave off the effects of depression and anxiety. It helps with giving you deep, regenerative sleep. The ground-breaking formula includes the three B-vitamins noted for improving brain health — B6, B9 (folic acid), and B12.
A HEALTHY BRAIN MATTERS
When your brain is healthy it can perform all mental processes, known as cognition. This covers the familiar activities of learning, discernment, language and memory. It is a major factor in your quality of life. It ensures your independence for your lifespan. Environmental or life experiences can threaten your cognitive functions, impairing your lifestyle and depleting your stores of essential nutrients.
Interested in knowing more about vitamins for memory loss and concentration? The experts at Eden Formulations are here to help answer your questions. Contact us today to learn which supplements are best for a healthy brain.